Polypharmacy is taking more than five types of medications. Studies have shown that polypharmacy increases the risk of frailty. It is therefore important to optimise your medications by the following steps:
- Always ask your healthcare provider to review your medications/supplements/Traditional Chinese medication (TCM) regularly.
- Ensure you do not take any medications that you do not need.
- Clarify with the doctors or pharmacists if any of your medications cannot be taken together.
- Report any side effects (e.g. drowsy/confusion) or new behavioural changes that arise with any of the medications.
- Article contributed by Geriatric Medicine, Department of Integrated Care -