Lifestyle changes can improve GERD symptoms. These include:
- Avoid precipitating food/drink
- Avoid overeating
- Lose weight if you are overweight or have had recent weight gain.
- Avoid lying down after meals, and avoidance of meals 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- Raise the head of the bed if there are night-time symptoms
There are a few main types of medicines that can help with the symptoms of acid reflux, such as antacids, histamine blockers and proton pump inhibitors. All of these medicines work by reducing or blocking stomach acid.
Doctor may offer you an Upper Endoscopy if:
- Your symptoms are severe or last a long time
- You cannot seem to control your symptoms with lifestyle changes and medication.
- You have had symptoms for many years.