What treatment does podiatry provide?
Podiatry offers the following treatment:
Provision of insoles
- Provision of offloading devices
- Strapping and padding of the foot
- Toenails and foot skin management, e.g., ingrown toenails, calluses, corns, warts
- Toenail avulsion procedure
- Diabetes foot screening
What can I expect from the appointment?
Depending on the nature of your visit, treatments may vary. For issues related to wounds, skin, and toenails, the podiatrist may employ precise techniques using sharp instruments to address issues like reducing corns and calluses or managing toenails. Rest assured, these procedures are typically minimally uncomfortable and generally do not require anaesthesia, except for toenail avulsion, which is conducted under local anaesthesia.
If your visit pertains to musculoskeletal issues, the session may include a thorough assessment involving physical movements. To facilitate this, it is recommended to dress comfortably, preferably in shorts or pants, allowing for ease of movement during the examination.
What do I need to bring to the appointment?
It would be beneficial to bring to your appointment the pair of shoes you most frequently wear, as a significant portion of the assessment and interventions may involve footwear considerations.
If you are seeking treatment for wound-related issues, please bring the wound care products you have been using to facilitate a more comprehensive evaluation.
How long is the appointment?
The duration of the appointment typically ranges between 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the type of cases. Punctuality is highly encouraged, as the clinic operates on an appointment-only basis. It is crucial to arrive on time, as arriving more than 15 minutes late may result in missing the allocated time slot. In such cases, individuals might either be accommodated at the end of the session, depending on availability, or may need to be rescheduled for another day. This ensures that each patient receives the necessary attention and care within the designated time frame.
How can I schedule an appointment with a podiatrist?
- You will need to obtain a doctor’s referral to the podiatry department first.
- All outpatient podiatry sessions are available by appointment only.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment for registration.
- To cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact our hospital appointment hotline (Tel: 6363 8000)
- Note that patients arriving late for appointments may be seen at our discretion or may need to be rescheduled.